Friday 14 August 2009

Back to School

I've always been interested in the mechanisms which shape the human mind, a quest which has taken me down many different roads. One of these are teaching, or to be more specific; teachers. Whenever I meet someone who work as a teacher, I make sure to ask what they learned during their education. I have yet to receive a decent answer.

As with all things, if you want something done (or in this case, answered) you have to do it yourself. This, and a desire to give Bergen one more chance before going somewhere else to get a job in the gaming industry, led me to what the University of Bergen has dubbed "Practical Pedagogical Education". In short, it's a one year addition to an existing bachelor or masters degree which gives you the tools you need to be a teacher. Or so they claim.

Lectures start next week, and the introductory information meeting was held last Wednesday. After being lectured on the values of being a "moral person" and the importance of "treating people as people", I feel slightly dumber then before the meeting. There might be a very good reason why people with a teachers degree can't tell you what they learned..

No comments:

Post a Comment