Tuesday 22 September 2009

Going Full Circle

A few weeks into this semester, unsuspecting pupils will be hit by an avalanche of new wannabe teachers. I am one of those teachers, and a few weeks into the semester was yesterday. I suppose the most common thing to say would be to point out how it feels somewhat odd to be on the other side of things. Truth to be told, I remember only fragments of my days behind the small wooden desks. And being back there, walking the same halls I did more then 10 years ago, doesn't make me feel out of place at all.


As for the kids, they're mostly well behaved. Getting to teach classes in two very different schools, one of the best and one of the supposedly worst, the only real difference I can tell between the two classes is based purely on the age difference. And I consider myself a pretty decent judge of character.

Speaking of character, our two guidance teachers are night and day. One is fairly young, open for new ideas and seems to enjoy his job. The other one, not so much. Snide comments and jabs during the school introduction, the occasional unnecessary peck during class and an attitude which can easily translate into an aura of negativity. Specially computers tend to provoke this attitude. I see conflicts in my future.

On the other hand, The handgun safety course is really picking up. We're divided into smaller groups now, which makes it easier to get to know people. Also, the instructors showed they in fact do know how to instill mechanical behavior in us as they had us fire off 25 rounds over 5 sessions against an unmarked target board. No checking results between sessions either. Good times, and I'm getting better already hitting pretty evenly even under poor lighting conditions and with a mediocre weapon. It's all about Zen and being able to shut of the world and trust your instincts.. something I think most people in the age of information overload should learn.


Coming from a stressful classroom, slipping into the serene meditative state of shooting is food for the soul. I think I'm getting more then I bargained for.

2 comments:

  1. I find your new two topics a bit disconcerting. The combinations of the two....should I be worried? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are far worse things in life then being shot. Forced public speaking is still the number one fear, and so much easier to get away with ;)

    ReplyDelete