Tuesday 8 September 2009

Work, work

I remember when being a student meant reading a bunch of books, showing up at a lecture or two a week, hanging out with fellow students and party during the weekend. Seems I've been out of the loop for a while, because now, being a student means trying to find the time to read a bunch of books, going to two or three lectures a day, constantly writing some assignment and talk to fellow students as you move from lecture to lecture. Weekend are spent doing what you didn't find time for during the week.

I did manage to sneak away to catch Gamer at the cinema tonight though. To my defence I found in a pocket a pair of gift certificates that expired this weekend, so we kinda had to use them. Games being my field and all I figured I should catch it, and seeing as it was suppose to be a dark and edgy comment to video games in general it should right up my alley anyway.

Moving through the pouring rain down towards Magus Barfot, we didn't have the greatest expectations for the movie and it didn't deliver either. The dialogue was dull, neither funny, cool, or smart, exemplified with the fact that IMDB doesn't list a single memorable quote. Almost a feat in itself. It seems to take itself too seriously, lacking any kind of edge. There are some cool ideas and concepts in there, but it doesn't seem to know what to do with them or how to develop them further. It should have borrowed some tricks from Shoot 'em Up, a quality flick which plays of the game aesthetic perfectly.

Next time I have an hour and a half to kill I'm totally watching Shoot 'em Up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment